Mopani Restcamp is a recently built camp that has thatched buildings which blend into the bushveld surroundings. The only disadvantage is that Mopani is not located in a very game rich part of the Park. This camp offers the most stunning views of the Pioneer Dam, a dam rich in birdlife and an overnight bird hide is found at Shipandani south of Mopani.
But there is one area with good game viewing and that is the H1-6. The series of loop roads off the H1-6 Tsendzi River south of the camp and the road to Confluence Lookout have some good wildlife sightings. The next preferred drive from Mopani is the Tropic of Capricorn Loop (S143) as you can drive up to Shingwedzi on the S50.
On this road you will cross the Tropic of Capricorn at Shilowa Mountain on the edge of Lebombo. A few kilometres further you will find a lookout point at Shilbavatsengele. This relatively low point will give you a chance to look at the Mopaneveld.
Bowker's Kop is north of Mopani and features beautiful Baobabs on the slope. You can also get a chance to see the rare knob-billed duck make an appearance at the waterhole opposite the hill.
Facts on Mopani:
More Game Viewing Routes
- Occasional sightings of Lion and Cheetah
- Elephant and Buffalo are the most common seen animals spotted
- There is low game densities because of poor veld carrying capacity
- Good birding around Pioneer Dam and Nshawu water holes in summer
- Vegetation includes open woodland and scrub with some pockets of thornveld