Sanderling © Graham Cooke
- Latin Name
- Calidris alba
- 19 cm
- A common migrant along the coast but most inland records are of single vagrants; September - May.
- A summer migrant from the Palaearctic, wintering in the South.
- Bird Call
- The call is a whistled 'twick twick'.
- Adult Description
- A rather drab colouring, mainly white in appearance but with pale grey on crown and upper parts. Bill and legs are black. Short heavy bill, has no hind toe, leaving three instead of the usual four, with the distinctive black shoulder marking. Brown eyes.
- Common summer visitor.
- Common along the west coast and more rarely recorded singly inland as well.