This was the original entrance gate to the central region, on to the old Orpen road to the east of the N'wamatsatsa Drift.
The original hut at Rabelais' gate is still preserved. This was the original entrance gate to the central region, on to the old Orpen road to the east of the N'wamatsatsa Drift. The Hut is 9 kilometres from Orpen Restcamp. The gate appears to have been named after the original farm on which it was situated. This gate was replaced in 1954 by Orpen Gate, when, due to the Orpen's donation of farms, the boundary was moved further westward.
The original hut was renovated and is used as an information centre (c1932), and museum. The farm was probably named after the French writer and satirist, Francois Rabelais (c1483-1553). Beyond this small museum is the Rabelais waterhole, which usually attracts large numbers of game.