The comprehensive history of the Kruger National Park, "Neem Uit Die Verlede" ("Taken from the past") is due to be reprinted this year, and is expected to hit the shelves in South Africa before Christmas. This weighty book is the work of Dr Uys de Villiers ("Tol") Pienaar, who worked in Kruger for 32 years. He rose from the position of junior ranger in 1955 to become park warden of Kruger from 1978 to 1987, before becoming chief director of Sanparks.
During his time in Kruger he established the reference museum in Skukuza and started cataloguing much of the park's animal diversity. He was also very involved in the chemical capture and immobilisation of animals, and authored numerous scientific papers on various subjects.
Originally published by the parks board, his history of Kruger has been out of print for some time. It is now being republished by Protea Boekhuis, who have been updating the text and will be publishing the book with a new contemporary cover. A translation of the book into English is also in the pipeline, although that is only likely to be published next year at the earliest.