Just a stone's throw from the Mozambican border and Maputo, Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park is rich in local history.
- An ideal camp from which to pursue the Big Five
- The camp comprises of bungalows, safari tents and camping sites
- Amenities include a laundromat, grocery shop and liquor store
Management and staff at Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park are dedicated to ensuring that your comfort and enjoyment have first priority. This has led to Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park being nominated best run camp 3 years in a row.
Accommodation and lodging comprises of bungalows, safari tents and caravan/tent camping sites. This area around Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park is flat scattered with Marula trees alongside the Crocodile River. This camp also offers disabled-friendly accommodation.
The camp overlooks kilometres (miles) of farmland. The Crocodile Bridge Gate on the north bank of the river is only 13km (8 miles) from the town of Komatipoort, 12km (7.5 miles) from the Mozambican Border, and 77km (48 miles) from Skukuza Rest Camp.
This small and delightful camp is situated in the Southeastern corner of the Kruger National Park, on the northern bank of the Crocodile River, from which it derives its name. After an early morning game drive, one can retire from the Lowveld heat to lunch before coming back for late afternoon game viewing on one of the suggested itineraries.
The game viewing area is known as the 'Southern Circle' and is renowned for its concentration of different prides of Lion with different hunting techniques and behavior. It has an abundance of prides, herds, troops, packs and swarms. It is home to a larger percentage of the Kruger National Park's total Rhino population.
The southern part of the Kruger National Park has a history that can be traced back centuries. Attractions and sightseeing activities include the San (Bushmen) paintings which adorn an overhanging sandstone, rock near the Hippo pool, the only remnants of the San People who once lived and hunted in this area.
History of Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park
During the 18th century, European explorers were lured inland by legends of the fabulous gold riches of Monomotapa. They came into conflict with the local inhabitants, whose traditional way of life was threatened by these unknown visitors from across the sea.
Francois de Cuiper of the Dutch East India Company led the first expedition to the area from the Cape in 1725. His party was attacked by local inhabitants in the Gomondwane bush (just north of Crocodile Bridge), and forced to retreat to Delagoa Bay.
When the Sabie Reserve (a forerunner of the Kruger National Park) was proclaimed in the late 19th century, Crocodile Bridge was one of the first 4 ranger posts. The bridge across the Crocodile River, visible from the rest camp, once formed part of the Selati railway line that wound its way through the Park to Skukuza. Construction of the bridge started in 1894 and was completed just before the end of the 19th century. The bridge continues despite being damaged in severe floods during February 2000.
Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp Facilities:
- Post Box
- Petrol/ Gas Station
- Public Telephones
- Cafeteria/Coffee Shop
- Information at Reception
- Communal kitchens & ablutions
- Day Visitor picnic area
- Cellphone Reception
- Basic First Aid Assistance