Upgrades and new attractions at SANParks
Kruger National Park
- Upgrades to units at Punda Maria, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Orpen, Lower Sabie amd Berg-en-dal have been completed
- 10 new tents for the budget market at Letaba, replacing the ones next to the camp site
- Half of the camp site at Skukuza has been upgraded
- The Moffat Cottage at Lower Sabie has been replaced by two convenient chalets
- Planning is at an advanced stage for a conference centre at Skukuza, which will have seats for 250 people classroom style and 500 peole theatre style
- A vastly upgraded main building is planned for Olifants Rest Camp
- Punda Maria rest camp has been redesigned and a new shop and reception is to be built at the camp gate, while the restaurant will be upgraded
- Due to increased volumes of visitors
- over the past years, gate designs are no longer suitable and there will be a redesign similar to the system recently implemented at Phalaborwa where guests will be able to use quick lanes like those at toll gates
Mapungubwe National Park
A world class interpretive cenre is planned for opening to the public by mid-2009. It will also house a much needed restaurant.
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
- Work has commenced on the gate to the Transfrontier Conservation Area (TFCA) at Twee Rivieren and another 15 kilometre of the gravel road from Askam to Twee Rivieren was recently tarred, leaving only another 30 kilometres
- The planning of 10 new chalets at Mata Mata is underway
West Coast National Park
The day visitors’ area at the Preekstoel overlooking the lagoon has been completed.
Agulhas National Park
Good progress is being made with the construction of this new camp at the most southern tip of the continent. Work has also started to upgrade three old farmsteads amd make then accessible and comfortable for public use.
Addo, Mountain Zebra, Marakele and Karoo National Park
Additional public roads are being constructed and five new chalets have been added to the main camp at Addo.
Tankwa Kroo National Park
The first five chalets at the Elandsberg camp have been completed. These are situated in the picturesque landscape and is close to Cape Town. Other facilities in the park include converted historic farmsteads.
Augrabies Falls National Park
Work has started on the 19 chalets to be upgraded.